As a truck driver, maintaining good health can be especially difficult. With a hectic schedule, long working hours, an overall sedentary lifestyle and poor food choices, the obvious list of culprits for common health problems is endless. However, with these standard health choices, your truck driver lifestyle could also be a healthy one!
- Drink more of water – keeping your body hydrated keeps you fuller longer, preventing you from overeating on the road.
- Choose complex carbs – instead of reaching for meals with white bread, bagels, pretzels or cereal, choose fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and whole grains which keep blood sugar levels stable and slow digestion.
- Get your breakfast in – they always say it’s the most important meal of the day, and for good reason. A healthy breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism and helps you control cravings throughout the day.
- More healthy fats – most people think all fats are bad, but in truth, there are food fats that help fight disease and reduce blood pressure. Choose avocados, nuts, seeds, cooking with extra virgin olive oil and fish!
- Natural is best – stay away from foods that are high in sugar, corn syrup or transfats. Your best bet will be foods that are as natural as possible, unprocessed and whole!
- Be lean with protein – increase your intake of dairy, eggs, fish, beans, nuts and seeds. These foods are high in protein and will give you sustainable energy throughout the day.
- Keep your body and mind working – for at least 30 minutes each day, you need to do something to boost your mood and boost your heart rate. Even a small amount of exercise each day will keep your mind and body in working order.
- Diary your food – it sounds like a habit for a teenage girl, but knowing exactly what you’ve eaten for the day can be very beneficial. You will eat healthier if you’re more aware of what you’re consuming and when.
You don’t have to start all eight tips in one day, but you should give a few of these a try. You’ll see great benefits within the first week, at which you can start introducing a few more tips into your hectic lifestyle. If you have any questions about driving truck or would like to join our team, reach out to Gray Transportation today!